Since Goo.gl URL shortener is shutting down, people who previously used the service need the best URL shortener to migrate to. Thankfully, there are Google URL shortener alternatives to choose from that allow you to import links that are exported from Goo.gl.
How to switch from Goo.gl to Capsulink?
It’s easy to transfer Goo.gl short links even without any prior knowledge. Simply follow these steps
- Log into your Goo.gl account
- Download your links in CSV format
- Sign up to Capsulink
- Go to the settings of your Capsulink profile
- Open Apps tab
- Select Import links from Goo.gl as an option and upload the CSV file
All exported links will be saved in this format:
ShortUrl / LongUrl / CreationTime
Before import: https://goo.gl/anyslug / https://example.com / 2018-03-26T12:28:25.304+00:00
After import: https://cli.re/anyslug / https://example.com / 2018-03-26T12:28:25.304+00:00
- All Goo.gl short links you previously made will now be cli.re links
- Link statistics will not be saved
We recommend you to register your own custom domain so you are the official owner of your links. This way you can ensure that your domain is independent of any URL shortening services. Once you’ve made your custom domain and connected it to Capsulink’s server, you can start importing links to your domain.
How is Capsulink different from Goo.gl?
Capsulink offers far more features and is much more helpful for businesses, because:
- With Capsulink you can create branded and customized short links
- You can edit the destination URL even after the link has been published
- We have lots of different API URL shortening integrations
- Capsulink collects more data than any free URL shortener you can find online, which is necessary to make better marketing decisions in the future
- You can also use our smart link traffic targeting options to create personalized content for users based on location, language, time zone, and other factors