First you need to purchase a domain from a registrar like domainr. Once you've selected your domain, you need to set it up to work with your Capsulink account. You must have a Capsulink Premium account to use the custom domain feature.
After you've purchased a custom domain and upgraded your Capsulink account, you can now set up your custom link to work with Capsulink URL shortener.
Change your DNS records to have them “point” at Capsulink and turn any domain you want (e.g. https://myDomain.com) into a personal or business link shortener.
IMPORTANT: If you have a live website, do not change the main (or @ record) DNS settings as in that case the website will immediately go down. Capsulink only works on an empty or not used domain. It does not work on an active website.
Connect your DNS by following these easy steps:
- Log into Capsulink.
- Add a new custom domain in your Capsulink profile’s domain settings. Enter your domain name (e.g. myDomain.com) in the first text field. Write the main redirect URL in the second text field.
- Log into your domain hosting account where you bought your domain and go to the DNS Settings page.
- If you have any records associated to the domain, delete them.
- Add a new record:
- Record type: A
- Hostname (or Name): leave it empty or write @
- Point to (or Address/Value): 126.96.36.199
- Save your changes and wait for Capsulink to send you an email when your domain is successfully configured and DNS settings are propagated worldwide.
When you can see your custom domain from your Capsulink account, then you've successfully configured your custom domain! You are now ready to start creating your custom branded short links.
How to configure your domain hosting account
This process takes place on your domain host's account. Here is a list of instructions at some of the most popular domain providers:
- How to Change DNS Records at GoDaddy
- How to Change DNS Records at Name.com
- How to Change DNS Records at HostGator
- How to Change DNS Records at Register.com
- How to Change DNS Records at Blue Host
- How to Change DNS Records at Ipage
- How to Change DNS Records at InMotion Hosting
NOTE: To make the dedicated domain work, DNS has to be propagated all over the world. It can take from 15 minutes (for a brand new domain) up to 24 hours (for a dedicated domain that was registered in the past).