What is a destination URL?
Destination URL (which in Capsulink’s interface you’ll find as Default URL) is the redirect link you’ll be directing your audience after they’ve clicked on the short link. Quite literally, it’s the destination of your short link. The destination URL doesn’t have to be the same as the link you’re sharing, and you can even change it in case the need arises.
How to change the destination URL?
In case you’ve set the wrong target address to your short link, the address no longer exists or you simply want to change where people go after they click on the link, you can edit the destination URL within a matter of seconds by following these steps:
- Choose the short link that you want to update on your list of short links.
- Once you’ve found the link on your list, click on “default URL”. You can also do this from the short link stats view.
- Override the destination URL so it directs people who click on it to the address you want them to go to. The underlying link will be updated on the spot, so you don’t have to delete the links you’ve already shared with your audience. Also, the statistics won’t be lost either since you can track the link’s destination URL history.
Why would you want to change your URL?
Changing the destination link can save you serious amounts of time and energy. Here’s a list of a few of those cases where this feature will come in handy:
- Point people from your social media accounts to your new blog post.
- Making events annually, monthly or weekly? Make the old links of those events point to more timely ones.
- Forgot to install the UTM parameters? No worries, you can still do that by changing the destination URL.
- In order to direct people to another article, blog or website that’s more relevant to them.
- Don’t lose traffic by directing people to a broken link - change the destination link to a one that works.
- In order to update links that would otherwise lead readers to outdated content.
- To avoid losing traffic by not updating the link or accidentally publishing the wrong one.
- Update the destination of a static link - like the ones on an Instagram profile, for example.
The possibility to to edit a destination link once it has been created, you'll need Capsulink Premium. In order to select the right plan for your business, check out Capsulink’s pricing list.